September 29, 2009

Thanks again Donna Hay!

I had myself and my little girl in a wonderful (and tasty) sticky mess today and was so impressed with the results I thought I'd share!
It is the beginning of the birthday season for my family starting with our eldest daughter, Felicity's, 9th birthday on the 9th of October. Felicity is on a gluten free diet so finding a cake that accommodates this and still tastes good is always a mission. Thanks to good old Donna Hay I have found a fun and delicious (and soooooo easy) bake free cake! but I thought I'd better give it a 'test run' first before I make the real thing and show up at the party with a terrible mess or horrible tasting failure... well that's my excuse anyway heheheh

What you need:
8 cups large white marshmallows (or pink ones if you want the cake to be pink)
150g butter, chopped
12 cups (420g) rice bubbles

Place the marshmallows and butter in a saucepan over low heat. Stir until melted and smooth. Place the rice bubbles in a bowl, add the marshmallow mixture and mix until well combined. Using slightly damp hands, press the mixture into a greased and lined 20cm-round cake tin. Refrigerate for 1 hour, or until firm.
Turn out onto a cake stand. Use a small fluted nozzle to pipe the pink icing around the edge of the cake and decorate with candy coated chocolates and candles.

This is the gorgeous finished product as done by Donna Hay...... not sure if the cake I make will be this amazing.


The 'test run' I made today was so easy and with only 3 ingredients mixed together in a bowl I did with my 22 month old who loved every minute of it! I decided (at the last minute) to divide the mixture into cupcake wrappers to make little individual crackles for a bit of fun!


I'll post pictures of the 'real thing' as a complete cake once it's all done and report back what the response is..... if the party goers are anything like me they'll love this sweet sticky treat!


Giggle

2 comments:

Melanie @ Whimsical Creations said...

I have never thought to make rice crispies treat (that is what those are called in the US) into a cake and decorate it. That is a fantastic idea!!

RACHAEL said...

Good luck! I made my husband a chocolate mud cake for his birthday this year from scratch. I had never made one before but the end result was amazing and loved by all. My point...if you can dream it, you can do it :).