August 31, 2008

Weekly Featured Artist - Gretchen of S & G Hulett, Made in Wyoming


I have had the honor of getting to know Gretchen over the past few months through our Etsy street team - FAM - and she is definitely all three things that fit her into the team.... Fabulous, Artistic and a Mum. Now it's your turn to get to know her a little better.

Tell us all about yourself and your craft?
My name is Gretchen and I am a mother of 3 kids. Allie my oldest is married and expecting baby number 1 in Oct, so will be first time grandma soon. My son is 10 and going into the 5th grade and my youngest is 8 and going into the 2nd grade. We home school and will be starting our 5th year in Sept. I am married to my sexy husband Steven and we reside in Laramie, WY and have for the last 14yrs.

I learned to crochet when I was 5 from my maternal grandmother and then went on from there to just freestyle crochet. I taught myself to knit in 2004 and have been sewing since 1995. I love to just pick up a hook or needles and start to create but sewing is more of pattern piecing to get a fun and function look.

How long have you been creating your craft?
I have been on Etsy since Aug 2007 and prior to that on and off on eBay.


What is one of the biggest lessons you have learned about your craft & selling it?
I have learned that I am my biggest critic and what I think about my work isn't what others think. I know my items are good but I need to just chill and let others see what I have and not be to eager to sell to everyone.

Which of your items did you have the most fun creating & why?
I would have to say the winter crocheted dress that is currently in my store. It took me about 3 weeks to complete and 4 skeins of yarn. I like to see a big project accomplished and on display.



Is there a basic 'household' item you use when creating that seems to work just as good if not better than the actual 'tool'?
Well you know, I do have some favorite crochet hooks that I prefer using over another and I just love bamboo knitting needles. I have a serger and a sewing machine but I prefer my serger for most sewing and then the sewing machine for just top stitching.

What is your favourite candy bar & why?
Oh my gosh is there any right answer on this one??? I think any candy bar with chocolate covering or solid chocolate will do me just fine. But if I had to choose just one I think it would have to be a chocolate or strawberry Charalson Chew. The chocolate covering and the nugget middle is just a wonderful mix.



If money, responsibilities, and time were no issues where in the great wide world would you go & why?
Well, I would have to say a cruise with my husband. We got married in 1994 and with my oldest being little we really didn't have a honeymoon except my parents having my daughter with them for the night. We moved a month later and joke that, that was our honeymoon driving 1200miles with a little one.

Stop past Gretchen's mother and daughter run shop at www.sghulett.etsy.com and take a moment to browse her gorgeous range of over 80 items! We feel pretty comfortable when Gretchen says "Make your self to home and have a look around. Remember if you don't see something please let me know and we can set up a custom order for you" and with nothing but 100% positive feedback you know you'll come away a happy customer!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh thanks so much for the feature. I have had a great time getting to know you, too.

Have a great Labor Day.